Friday, August 12, 2011

Fantasy Football


Next weekend is the big event. My skills will be put to the test, my knowledge on display for all to see. It will be a chance to show my kids and their friends the old man can still compete.
Yes – it is our fantasy football draft. And truth be told, I’m more than a little worried.
For several years now my sons and some of their friends have extended me the privilege of being the token “old guy” in their fantasy football league. In fact, my team name is “Old Guys Rule." The other 11 league members are pretty much in their 30s now, and I’m slightly beyond that – okay, a whole lot beyond it. But they invite me because they respect my football acumen, my competitive nature and my superior intellect. Yeah – right.
The truth is they invite me because I am a great target on draft night. They love making fun of me. I always have my lists of players, but I don’t get into the details as deeply as many of them. I don’t always know who the hottest rookie prospect is, who got hurt in training camp, or the latest statistics. They always seem so surprised when I actually make a good choice – and yes, that does happen on occasion.
The running joke is the team I draft will always be a threat – but only if they move the clock back 10 years. I tend to favor veterans who might be just slightly past their prime. And I may not be able to come up with the first name of every guy I choose. But despite a bad year last season, I have made the playoffs from time to time. Still, my overall record is pretty dismal.
But draft night is always loads of fun. There is a lot of good conversation with a great bunch of kids (they will always be kids to me) and some good food and my yearly beer or two. I get to spend time with my two sons, as my youngest comes home from Baltimore every draft weekend. It helps keep me feeling young, even as all outward signs point in the opposite direction.
Just the fact they include me is something of a honor, which does not escape me. Granted they get good entertainment value in return, but I still appreciate being one of the guys for at least that one night.  And I’m still convinced that despite my having just the ninth pick in the first round, I can come up with a team that will make a run at the title.
Now I have to go load my new draft program onto my iPad. Not that I’m taking this seriously or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment