Monday, August 1, 2011

CITI


Nadia Petrova of Russia and Shahar Peer of Israel had little difficulty reaching the championship round in the Women’s Tennis Association tournament in College Park, dropping just one set each in their four matches leading up to the final on Sunday.
Both found a challenge that day.
Second seed Petrova upset top seed Peer for the Citi Open title, winning in straight sets 7-5, 6-2, but it was not an easy victory. She fell behind early in both sets, having to fight back to take them both.
“I started off really good, but then I backed off,” the 24-year-old Peer said. “I need to learn to keep this way of playing for a longer period of time as I take my next step.”
Peer, who is ranked 24th in the world, said that she struggled throughout the afternoon with the placement of her serves, causing her to not swing as hard as she normally would to ensure that her serves would be in play.
“Unfortunately it happened today when I really needed my serve.” Peer said. “Against such a big server you need to get some free points, and I didn’t get it today.”
On the other end of the court, Petrova had no issues with her serves as she tallied seven aces in the match.
“I knew if I’m serving solid that it will be very difficult for her to break,” Petrova said.
The win gives Petrova her 10th career WTA title and first since 2008. “I’ve been waiting for this one very patiently,” Petrova said.
With the championship victory, the 32nd-ranked Petrova earned $37,000 in prize money.
While much of the media was pegging Peer as the favorite to win the tournament, the predictions did not faze Petrova during the tournament.
“Luckily for me, I brought my laptop here and haven’t opened it once,” she said.
Throughout the match, several fans cheered loudly for Peer and waved Israeli flags.
“It is a very good feeling to have a lot of people behind you,” Peer said.
While the final did not go her way, Peer said she was pleased that she was able to beat four talented opponents during her week in College Park.
“Obviously you want to finish it with a win, but I don’t want to get down on myself,” Peer said. “I had a great week.”
Doubles Play and Crowd
Also on Sunday, Sania Mirza of India and Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan  won in straight sets 6-3, 6-3 over Olga Govortsova of Belarus and Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia for the doubles crown.
The tournament drew around 10,000 fans to the Tennis Center, roughly 1,500 for the final on a hot Sunday afternoon, said Sam Duvall of Lagardère Unlimited.
“Overall, we’re getting a lot of positive feedback,” Duvall said. “The players are really happy, which is really important for getting them onboard for next year.”

No comments:

Post a Comment